If you are avoiding/minimizing animal foods, is important to supplement, since the following nutrients may be limited in these types of diet: protein, vitamin B12, calcium, omega-3 fats, vitamin D, and iodine.
Precision Nutrition recommends six wonderful habits to follow when eating plant-based:
- Eat Protein dense food with each meal.
- Eat vegetables and/or fruit with each meal (specially more vegetables than fruits. 2 fist of veggie for men. 1 fist for women per meal)
- Make sure grains and other starches make up no more than 25% of meals, except after exercise.
- Emphasize heathy fats from whole foods and ensure adequate omega-3 fat intake from foods like flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, walnuts and algae oil.
- Drink mostly water, tea, black coffee and other beverages with few calories, such as unsweetened non-dairy milks.