Dear HONEY, we need to talk.

First of all I want to start these lines by saying thank you for always being there for me, ever since I was a little girl. You were the Go-To natural remedy when I had a cough and my mom wanted to join the hype of using “natural stuff”. I also want to thank you for always being there for me as mom, when I wanted to do the same with my own kids. Because of you, it was way easier to treat minor symptoms of regular colds, and I have to admit that , also because of you, I felt this “I’m such a good mom” feeling inside of me.

You were in countless recipes when trying to ditch your bad neighbor “Sugar”. You were the guest of honor on my pancakes and even sometimes on my night time tea. You were always perfect, with that amber, perfect color, with all your cool properties, you know, your antibacterial activity! You were just right, until…

I started studying and learning as much as possible about nutrition, and I have to admit that even though I know I will gain the disapproval of all your followers (I’m sure your IG account is amazing), I feel the need of writing you a break-up letter and make it public.

Dear Honey, is not me, is YOU.

You are not as good as I thought. Yes, you do have all those properties and no one can take that away from you. I will even keep saving bees (pinky swear). But here is the thing, I am not only practicing a much healthier lifestyle (not that you are not, please don’t take it that hard) which not only consists in what is obvious (looking healthier) but also taking care of what’s going on inside of my body every time I consume food.  The truth is, that as you know, diabetes is a serious condition that runs in my family.  For me, is a big enough reason to walk away from you (we can still be friends, and say hello when we see each other… we can even grab a cup of tea here and there).

“Knowledge is a bitch”, and I learned (and believe me when I say that I dug in looking for information) that YOU “honey”, and your friends: Agave, Molasses and Maple Syrup, are mainly FRUCTOSE! You are made up of around 75% sugars, of which roughly half is glucose and half is fructose. The remaining 20-25% is water with a trace of protein, a trace of fat, and a trace of fiber, which is why you have less calories than sugar, I will give you that. BUT, not everybody consumes YOU by weight, but by tbsp, which means that at the end, we THE PEOPLE, end up consuming MORE CALORIES! Not fewer! (Not cool!)

In order to close this break up letter, I am going to explain it on a very simple way: The excess of fructose (you, Honey) transforms rapidly into fat (it accumulates in our bodies as FAT). This happens, because fructose can not be stored in the muscle, only in our liver. Our muscles, don’t have the enzyme that is needed to transform Fructose into Glycogen (which is different when is about carbohydrates). The liver capacity is very limited and small. When its capacity is floated (full), the excess of Fructose is stored as… guess as what? AS FAT! (you liar!). In addition to this, the excess of Fructose, makes us more likely to develop insulin resistance (diabetes)… So, thank you for all the sweet moments, my dear Honey, but you and I are done!

Love, Gaby

Translate »
%d bloggers like this: