Afternoon Pick-Me-Up Drink Recipe
It is 4:00 in the afternoon!!!! THE DEADLY HOUR! The time of day that you are not hungry, but you want to eat. You don’t want to eat a salad, or a piece of chicken breast… you want THAT piece of cake that is calling your name. It is right there, at the same place you left it this morning because you felt strong and with a goal in mind: “To stay away from it… at the end, you don’t eat cake and you don’t even like that co-worker that brought it!” … But its 4:00 pm! You are tired, not even close to finish “that report” and your strength is turning into weakness! And the coffee has been sitting there since this morning and is looking like a thick, dark, burned substance that happens to rest in the coffee pot… DON’T PANIC! YOU GOT THIS! and here is a way to stay away from that cake, that believe me! IT IS NOT THAT GOOD and to also have that kick that we all need around this time of the day.
My intentions here are not to give you a class on the benefits of this drink, but here are some facts that will convince you if you are still not sure about it!
Dark chocolate may reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease. Cocoa powder has even more benefits, and unsweetened cocoa has the advantage of being low in calories. It also contains essential minerals that support your heart, bones and immune system… Still not convinced? Keep reading!
One table spoon of unsweet cocoa powder (the amount used for this drink) has 12 calories, 1 gram of protein and ONLY one-tenth of a gram of sugar. The same portion has 1.8 grams of fiber, which is 5% of the daily intake for men and 7% for women. (www.healthyeating.sfgate.com)
Now, about coffee! As with everything, moderation is the key. Too much of everything is bad, but too much of Champagne is… Oh! Sorry! I got carried away. As I was saying, there are several benefits we can get from coffee, as log as we go easy with its consumption. If you happen to be super caffeine sensitive, maybe you can try the same idea but with decaf instant coffee (just a thought). To name some of the benefits of java, several studies suggest that caffeine can improve memory, decrease fatigue and improve your mental functioning.
Almond Milk? Well, I could write a chapter on why I swear by it and pretty much live for it, but to make it short and sweet, here are some of the amazing facts about this elixir:
- It helps with weight management: 1 cup of almond milk contains only 60 calories – the one I sed for this drink actually contain 35 calories per 8 fl oz-
- It keeps your heart healthy: Theres no cholesterol or saturated fat in almond milk.
- It keeps your bones strong: Almond milk offers 30% of the recommended daily amount of calcium, as well as 25% of the recommended amount of Vitamin D, reducing your risk of arthritis and osteoporosis and improving your immune function.
- It keeps your skin glowing: Contains 50% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin E.
- It barely impacts your blood sugar: Is low in Carbs
- It contributes to muscle strength and healing: Contains plenty of vitamin B (iron and riboflavin)
- It is awesome!
Alright! Enough information. Now go, make it and enjoy it!